- Feature Links
- Reduced Service Schedule
Reduced Service Schedule
Knoxville Area Transit has reduced weekday service on some routes as a result of a current workforce shortage. In order to maintain the transit service needed to get workers to their jobs and for people to make necessary trips, KAT has made the changes listed below to KAT routes. Detailed schedules are attached.
The routes are listed below, this change will be in effect until further notice.
Weekday service reductions: (click route to view schedule)
- Route 11 – Kingston Pike – service every 30 minutes
- Route 22 – Broadway – service every 30 minutes
- Route 31 – Magnolia – service every 30 minutes
- Route 40 – South Knoxville – service once an hour
- Route 45 – Vestal – service once an hour
- Orange Line Trolley – ends at 8:00 p.m. on Friday and Saturday evenings
- Blue Line Trolley – ends at 8:00 p.m. on Friday and Saturday evenings
- Green Line Trolley - ends at 8:00 p.m. on Friday and Saturday evening
All other weekday routes will maintain their current schedules, and weekend service will remain the same, with the exception of evening trolley service described above.
KAT routes are operating on a Reduced Fare Structure.
Due to Knoxville Area Transit's continuing and worsening workforce shortage, the Knoxville Transportation Authority has approved a number of service reductions and two route changes at a specially called public hearing on Thursday, July 7, 2022.
These changes will take effect on Monday, August 29, 2022. To view the reduced service route schedules, click here.
The approved service reductions are as follows:
- Elimination of Routes 10 – Sequoyah Hills and 19 – Lakeshore/Lonas
- Reduction of all Sunday service schedules, with the last downtown departures at 5:15 p.m.
- All weekday and Saturday evening service ends earlier, with the exception of core routes 11, 12, 22, 31 and 41 continuing through an 11:15 p.m. line-up, and Route 42 with a 10:15 p.m. full trip.
- Reduced hours on Route 13 – Beaumont
- Reduced weekday frequency on Route 42 – UT/Ft. Sanders Hospitals
- Reduced frequency on Orange Line trolleys (from 15 minutes to 30 minutes) and Green Line trolleys (from 10 minutes to 20 minutes)
The paratransit Lift service area will remain the same, as well as weekday and Saturday hours. Lift service will end on Sunday at 6:30 p.m. in conjunction with fixed route service reductions.
In addition to these service reductions two route changes were approved:
- A new proposal to serve West Town Mall (outbound only) via Gleason Drive
- A proposal for a route change on Route 12 – Western to use 5th Avenue to University (rather than Arthur and Boyd) through the Mechanicsville area
Recognizing the spiraling effect this could have on those using KAT for work-related transportation, KAT and Knox County CAC Transit are partnering to provide work-related transportation to fill in the gaps left by these reduced service levels. Knox County CAC Transit will do their best to work with passenger schedules to provide work-related trips. KAT will cover the costs of the CAC fares for these passengers until a return to normal service levels on that route.
KAT passengers can call Knox County CAC Transit at 865-524-0319 to check availability. Currently, trips are provided Monday - Saturday and after 10:30pm on Sunday nights. Their office hours for scheduling are Monday - Friday between 8:00 a.m. - 4:45 p.m. Rides must be scheduled by no later than 11:00 a.m. the day before your trip. Saturday and Sunday trips must be scheduled by no later than 11:00 a.m. on Fridays.