Do you like building and fixing things? Do you enjoy working as part of a team? Are you looking for a satisfying career and a profitable future? Knoxville Area Transit, the City of Knoxville’s public transportation system, is looking for a Mechanic who is dedicated to keeping our fleet on the street.
What does a Mechanic Do?
- Repairs all transit system vehicles and equipment
- Performs troubleshooting on major components utilizing automated diagnostic equipment and performs required repairs.
- Performs preventative maintenance inspections, services and repairs.
- Performs major installations of specialized equipment to vehicles such as mounting and wiring components to existing systems.
- Uses welding equipment to make minor repairs on vehicles and metal parts.
- Safely and effectively uses precision tools and instruments
- Ability to operate all types of equipment owned and operated by the transit system.
- Must possess strong knowledge and aptitude for utilizing computer automated software and Internet resources in diagnosing vehicle major components.
- Must pass mechanics test.
- Ability to fill out standard maintenance and safety forms, write routine reports and correspondence.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions and decimals.
- Must be 21 years or older
- Must have HS Diploma or equivalent
- Possess, or be able to obtain, a Commercial Driver’s License, Class B with a P Endorsement
- $22.68 – $24.35 / hour (based on experience)
- Excellent benefits package (click here for details)
- Opportunities for promotion and professional development