- Feature Links
- COVID-19 KAT's Plan
KAT's COVID-19 Plan
What we are doing:
KAT is taking a number of steps in order to keep our operators and other employees safe, as well as our passengers. KAT is following the guidance of the CDC (Center for Disease Control), Knox County Health Department and the City of Knoxville.
Our Buses and Public Spaces
- Our maintenance team is cleaning each bus, trolley and van top to bottom every night with a disinfectant.
- This team is also cleaning all touch spots, including handrails, seats, pull cords and the farebox every 12 hours (exceeding CDC recommendations).
- Knoxville Station’s restrooms, countertops and other touch points are cleaned several times each day with disinfectant.
- At Knoxville Station, we have removed chairs and tables and limit wi-fi in order to discourage spending more time than necessary in this public space.
- Our Customer Service counter has safety barriers in place and passengers are asked to stay physically distant while in the lobby area.
- Per Mayor Kincannon’s Executive Order, all passengers must wear a face covering while in the Knoxville Station Transit Center, on the bus platform, as well as on all buses.
Our Bus Routes
- Bus routes that have crowded trips are being given our larger buses in order to allow passengers to space themselves (social distancing), and operators with buses that are half-full will contact our dispatcher to have an additional bus dispatched for additional passengers. We will continue to monitor the buses to ensure that social distancing is occurring.
- We are doing all we can to maintain bus services for limited transit trips. We encourage passengers to work with us and abide by this recommendation so that we can continue to operate service for those who are keeping our city going.
- We are currently operating on a Reduced Fare Structure. All fare prices have changed, 7-day passes and transfers have been eliminated. See more about our Reduced Fares here. Bus capacity is also limited to help maintain social distance between passengers.
- Passengers are required to wear a face covering while onboard all buses, while at the Knoxville Station Transit Center and while on the bus platform. Free disposable masks are available on each bus or free reusable cloth masks are available at the Knoxville Station Customer Service Counter.
What you can do:
As a passenger you play a crucial role in protecting yourself and others. We are asking passengers to...
- Please limit your transit use - the best way to help is to limit the amount of places you go, please stay at home if you can. The CDC recommends limiting travel to medically or life necessary trips.
- Wear a face mask. If you need a mask, we have free reusable, washable masks available at the Knoxville Station Customer Service Counter.
- Use Social Distancing - keep distance between you and other passengers while at the bus stop, when boarding, and when on the bus.
- Stop the spread of germs by covering your cough with a tissue or your elbow, avoid touching your face, clean and disinfect touched surfaces, stay home when your sick, and wash your hands often with soap and water.
What Information Is Available:
The Center for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC) has a detailed information about symptoms, protecting yourself, their response, and facts. Please take the time to educate yourself about the Coronavirus here: